Friday, January 18, 2008

Email Forwarding - A Cautionary Tale

I have got talked a batch about electronic mail security, good electronic mail practices, how to avoid watering place meter and phishing s cams, etc. But here is an country not often mentioned, which rates our attention: electronic mail forwarding.

Recently a friend of mine who cognizes I am in the concern of protecting people on the Internet, forwarded to me by electronic mail a transcript of a newsletter he subscribes to. He thought I might be interested in it, as it dealt with new software, including security programmes which I utilize and recommend.

He was right. I was so interested that I clicked the Subscribe Now associate at the bottom, intending to subscribe up right away. But I then establish myself in my friend's account! I could have got changed his electronic mail computing machine address or preferences, or altered his subscriptions.

I tried shutting and reopening my browser, even restarting my computer, to no avail. The simple enactment of visiting that web land land site through the nexus my friend had provided, caused the site to set a cooky with his business relationship information on my difficult drive. I had to cancel all cookies on my PC, to work out the problem.

So delight be careful when forwarding stuff such as as newsletters. Beware of golf course such as as Subscribe, Unsubscribe, Pull Off Your Account, etc. Try to avoid including them. You can copy and paste the electronic mail into a apparent textual matter data file (ending in .txt), then copy and paste it back into an email. That should deactivate the links.

Of course, the simplest solution to this job is to simply copy the existent organic structure only of the stuff you desire to forward, and then paste it into a new email. That would usually work nicely.

Still on the subject, electronic mail is one of the chief ways viruses addition entree to your computer. But most malware deeds failings in Windows that were patched calendar months ago. So if you do nil else, make yourself a gluey short letter and paste it on your computer: Thousand shalt update Windows monthly!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home